« SOLDIERS OF KING & QUEEN: William Pettitt; John Smith; John Percival; William Atkins | Main | The Ball Family »

The Andrews Family

Again this family tree needs a great deal of work on it. It deliberately overlaps the Manning family with some repetition. Again it is part of my tree and my main interest is to show the background of Eunice Andrews who marrried John Ball, my grandfather. As always corrections and additions most welcome. The tables which appear ok in the editor become something of a jumble when viewed on the page. I will try to sort them out soon.

THE ANDREWS FAMILY (and Sarah Manning)

John Andrews

?? – Pre 1846



James Manning

Abt 1754 - ??

Mary Bosworth

Abt 1767 - ??

William Warren

Abt 1779 - 1849



Abt 1789 - 1852

Thomas Hilson

Abt 1780 HFerrers- 2/12/1863 Stanwick



Abt 1777 -14/10/1825 Stanwick


William Andrews

Abt 1798 – 7/06/1848 Boston, Lincs

Sarah Manning (Chambers)

4/04/1809 – 30/11/1875

Richard Warren

Abt 1817 – 12/01/1900

Elizabeth Hilson

Abt 1817 – 20/11/1902

Charles Andrews

08/08/1845 – 15/07/1890

Elizabeth Warren

1844 - 1931

Ada Maria



Annie Jane

George William

John Thomas


Mary Elizabeth

Lily Ethel

Eliza Ellen





Sarah Manning (1809 - 1875) 

When searching through the records for Ringstead you quickly discover that two factors try to thwart your progress up, or down your family tree. The families naturally link and interweave and the parents were rarely imaginative in the choice of names for their children. The boys are often John or Thomas or George or Henry and the girls are Rebecca or Sarah or Elizabeth or Hannah or Mary. The men then set about marrying women with the same names as their mothers or sisters or cousins. Suddenly the village is littered with Rebecca Mannings or John Balls. Some of the women will decide to use their middle name to help the family and enable them to keep some individuality but for us searching through those pre 1841 Census days an entry in the Parish Register is as likely to perplex as enlighten.

Sarah Manning was baptised on January 9th 1814, in a family batch, with her older brothers Isaac and Jacob. Luckily the parish register records that she was born on 4th April 1809 and is the daughter of James and Mary. Her eldest brother, James, was baptised on 7 March 1784 and is recorded as, ‘James Manning Bosworth the Bastard son Of James Manning and Mary Bosworth. Relieved by the Parish’’.  James and Mary married some two years later on 8 May 1786 but, surprisingly it appears that the next child, Rebecca was not born until November1791, as it records at her baptism, on 24 October 1813. It may be that some children have come and gone unrecorded, or that James was away, or was it possible that they were in a local workhouse and segregated. Of their first child, James, I can find no further trace.

In all, James and Mary had ten children and Sarah was the eighth. I say eighth although it seems quite possible that her sister Rebecca, born in 1791, is the same person as Rose who appears in the 1851 Census as being born in about 1791 and whose birth or baptism cannot be found. If this is true then Sarah was the seventh child.

She next appears in the records when she marries Edward Chambers on 20 October 1832 at Ringstead. It is in the Parish Register and it states that ‘Both are Of This Parish’ (BOTP). There are no baptisms recorded for the couple and we never see Edward Chambers again. There are some Edward Chambers in the criminal records so perhaps he was transported.  By 1841 Sarah is living with her older sister Rebecca and her brother Isaac. Also living with Rebecca is another Rebecca who appears from the 1851 Census to be the older sister’s illegitimate child. The two younger women are shown as lacemakers but Rebecca is a ‘pauper’.

We meet Sarah again in 1845 but now using her maiden name of Manning. The birth certificate of Charles Andrews, born on the 8th August 1845, records Sarah Manning as the mother and a William Andrews, a mariner as the father. William, in the 1841 Census, was recorded living in North Street in Boston. More surprising is that Charles has been born in the Union Workhouse in Boston, Lincolnshire and Sarah is recorded as living there. There may be a few explanations as to how Sarah ended up in Boston. She may have gone there for work and failed but there was a system where some unions sent their poor to other workhouses that could look after them more cheaply. Boston had a rather magnificent workhouse designed by George Gilbert Scott and built in 1837 which had an infirmary where Sarah could have had her baby in comparative luxury. For many poorer people the workhouse hospital was the only hope of medical attention. But Thrapston too had a new Workhouse by this time.

At this time Boston was still an important port and it seems possible that Sarah was in Boston when she met the mariner William, rather than going there to have his child. Perhaps she travelled there with the mysterious Edward Chambers.

On the 4th January 1847 Sarah married William Andrews, still a mariner, at the General Baptist Chapel in Boston. The witnesses were Michael Morgan and Elizabeth MacQueeney, and it records that Sarah and William live in North Street, Boston. William’s father is given as John Andrews (deceased).

William, however, had not long to live and suffering from ‘inflammation of the lungs’ he dies just eighteen months later, on 7th June 1848. He was just forty-nine years old. The informant of the death is his nurse, the same Elizabeth MacQueeney and the 1851 Census for North Street records that 'Elizabeth McQueena' is running a pauper's lodging house. Neither of Sarah’s husbands seems to have survived long after marriage.

It is the next two Censuses which help us to tie the two parts of Sarah’s life together. In 1851 a Charles Andrews, aged 5 and born in Boston, appears in Ringstead living with his Aunt Rose, a pauper unable to work, with her daughter Rebecca. Rose is shown as unmarried. With them is Rose’s sister Sarah Andrews, a widow who is the main subject of this story. By 1861 Rebecca, the daughter, is head of the house and her aunt, Sarah Andrews and her nephew Charles Andrews are living with her.

By 1871 Sarah is shown as the head of the house, living in London End, Ringstead and Rebecca, her niece is still living with her. Sarah, aged 62 continues on Parish Relief although Rebecca is working as a lacemaker. Charles has married Elizabeth Warren on 31 August 1866 at the Baptist Meeting House in Thrapston and by 1871 is living at 29 Shop [High] Street, Ringstead with his three children, Ada, Annie and George.

Sarah does not appear in the 1881 Census and checking back we find her death, aged 67 in Thrapston Union Workhouse on 30th November 1875. Sarah lived much of her life in poverty and we can only skim the surface of the difficulties and privations that she suffered.

 Charles William Andrews (1845 – 1890)

As we have seen, Charles William Andrews was born in Boston, Lincolnshire, on 8th August 1845, in the Union Workhouse. He was the son of Sarah Manning from Ringstead who married the father, as shown on the Birth Certificate, mariner William Andrews, on 4th January 1847. This was Sarah’s second marriage. She had married William Chambers in 1832 and is shown as Sarah Chambers, a lacemaker, in the 1841 Ringstead Census, living with her older, unmarried sister, Rose, a pauper. I have not found William anywhere and she reverts to her maiden name so perhaps he was still alive but elsewhere. There are men of that name who were transported but it is too common a name to be confident.

William Andrews died soon after the marriage to Sarah, on 7th June 1848, probably in a pauper’s lodging house in Boston. It seems that, soon after this, Charles returned with his mother to Ringstead for in 1851 they are there, living with Rose and her daughter Rebecca. They are all paupers (with Rose “unable to work”), except for, Rebecca, who is working as a lacemaker.

By 1861 Rose has died and Sarah and Charles are living with Rose’s daughter, Rebecca who is still a lacemaker. By 1861 time there were far fewer lacemakers in Ringstead as the trade declined nationally and boot and shoe “closing” (the sewing together of the uppers before they were attached to the sole by the men) became better paid and steadier work for women working at home. The two women are still together in 1871 with Sarah aged 62, still on Parish Relief and Rebecca as a lacemaker.

Charles, by now had a family of his own. Aged 20, he had married Elizabeth Warren on 31st August 1866 at the Baptist Meeting House in Thrapston. No father for Charles is shown. (This may merely be because he is dead.)  Charles has become a shoemaker and by 1871 the couple were living at 29 Shop (High) Street in Ringstead with their three children. His mother Sarah died in 1875 aged 67.

[Note: This Elizabeth Warren was the daughter of Richard Warren who was the brother of the Elizabeth Warren who married William Phillips]

Ada, the oldest child had been born in about 1866, Annie in about 1868 and George in late 1870. Thomas followed in about 1873, Eunice Oct - Dec 1876 and Mary Lizzie in 1878. In 1881 they are still living in London End, the triangle of poor housing at the end of Back Lane where it joined the Denford Road.

Charles had had a difficult, impoverished childhood and unfortunately it seems to have affected his own behaviour as a husband and father.  The first time that his failings were recorded was possibly in the Northampton Mercury of 2nd August 1879. It reported that at the Thrapston Petty Sessions on July 28th:

John Andrews of Ringstead was charged with the same offence [neglected to have provided sufficient instruction for his child] with regard to two children belonging to him – a boy and a girl. Mr Knight [Relieving Officer] gave evidence as to insufficient attendance and a similar order was made in this case, the children to be sent to the National School.

“John” was one of a number of local parents prosecuted and the Education Acts were widely flouted by parents and farmers. It says John Andrews but certainly in the 1881 Census, Charles is the only adult male Andrews in Ringstead. The two children are likely to have been Annie and George.  Ada was old enough to have left school and Thomas would have probably been of school age and it would have provided a baby-sitting service or he was too young to be counted.

On Saturday 13th March 1880 the Mercury reported:

Charles Andrews, of Ringstead, was charged with non-compliance of an order made by the Bench, on 28th July last, with regard to the sending to school of his two children, George and Annie Andrews. Defendant did not appear, was fined 6d., and also sentenced to pay 4s. 6d. costs in each case. Inspector Tarry having informed the Bench that the defendant had no effects on which a distraint could be issued, he was committed for seven days in each case. The same defendant was also charged with neglecting to provide sufficient elementary education for his child, Mary Andrews and the Bench made a school attendance order in that case.

Later that year, on the 14th August 1880, the Northampton Mercury reported that Charles was again charged with a similar offence and it continued:

Charles Andrews, Ringstead was also charged with non-compliance with orders previously made by the Bench. In each case he was fined 6d., and ordered to pay 6s costs, or seven days imprisonment. He was allowed a fortnight in which to find the money.

There was a more serious case reported in the Northampton Mercury for 24th December 1881 when it reported that:

Charles Andrew of Ringstead, a Crispinite, [shoemaker: St. Crispin was the patron saint of shoemakers – term usually used in a derogatory way] was charged by Mr. R. Knight, relieving officer of the Thrapston Union, with neglecting to support and family, whereby they came chargeable to the Thrapston Union, on the 17th November last. It appeared that defendant absconded in November, and returned to Ringstead on the 15th of the present month. In the interim his wife and family had become chargeable to the Union; he was apprehended by Constable Brown. Before the desertion complaints had been made that the defendant was indolent and had neglected to supply his family with the ordinary means of subsistence. Defendant, who pleaded guilty, was sentenced to 14 days’ hard labour.

We see a family living in extreme poverty and Charles becoming less willing and able to provide for them. The Mercury for 20th November 1880 had reported:

We are pleased to announce that the army boot and shoe trade is fairly good in the town and that all hands are in full work.

The trade was very volatile with sudden depressions in work but it does seem that Charles did have the chance of work but perhaps because of drink and laziness did not support his wife and family.

Again the Mercury reported on 15th July 1882:

Charles Andrew [sic], Ringstead, was charged by Mr. R.P. Wakefield, master of the Thrapston Union with leaving his wife and children chargeable to the Union. Defendant was committed for seven days.

Things began to get worse because at a Special Petty Session on Tuesday 18th October 1887:

Charles Andrews, shoemaker, Raunds was charged, before Mr. J. Rennie Wilkinson and Mr. R. Eland with embezzling a quantity of leather entrusted to him to make up by Mr. George Shelton of Higham Ferrers in June last. – Prisoner who absconded at the time of the offence was committed and was arrested on his return home this week, was sentenced to one month’s imprisonment with hard labour.

Charles died in Thrapston Union Workhouse in on 15th July 1890 aged just 44 and was buried in Raunds two days later. There is a note in the Burial Register that he had not been baptised.

 At about this time his son, George, who would have been about 20 years old, was fined, with two others, 15s. for being drunk and disorderly in Raunds. By the 1891 Census, the newly widowed Elizabeth is living in Workhouse Yard in Raunds (This was presumably the site of a workhouse that pre-dated the building of Thrapston Union Workhouse.) Elizabeth is a shoe closer as are her children George (20), Eunice (17) and Elizabeth (12). Thomas (18) is a farm labourer and the two youngest children (Louise 9 and Eliza 6) are “scholars”. [I believe that “Louise” is a clerical mistake, it should be Lily E.].

By 1901 Elizabeth has moved back to Ringstead, living at 11 London End, with her daughter Mary Elizabeth Allen who at 20 is already widowed and her daughter Edith Annie Allen who is two years old. Next door (Number 10) is her elderly widowed mother, Elizabeth Warren with Elizabeth Andrew’s daughter Eliza Ellen (16) living with her.

By 1911 Elizabeth is a boarder at 73 Nene Cottages, Raunds with her daughter Lily Ethel and her husband Frederick Wilfred Smith and their children. Fred Smith is 34 and a welt sewer for Coggins and Sons and his wife, Lily is 29. They have been married 14 years and have had 5 children, 4 of whom are still living. The Raunds Cemetery Register (kept in Raunds Town Hall) records that Elizabeth Andrews died in Marshalls Road, aged 87, and was buried on 31st March 1931 (grave 646 Raunds Cemetery Chapel). She is described as “housewife”.


Ada Maria Andrews (c 1867 - ??)


Ada Maria Andrews

(1867 – Jan-Mar 1933)

John Henry Chambers

(1866 – 1910)


Abt 1890 - ??

Edward (Joseph)         Abt 1891 -

Joseph Henry

Abt 1898 - ??

Charles Theodore

J-M 1900 – 1928 (?)

Leslie John

Abt 1903 - ??


J - M  1905 - ??



Ada Maria, the eldest child, married John Henry Chambers towards the end of 1886. He was a locally born general (farm) labourer, the illegitimate son of Hannah Chambers and was baptised Henry Brown (or Brawn) Chambers on 18th November 1866. We find the couple living in Herbert’s Yard, off Marshalls Lane. There are two children living with them, Alice 2 who was born in Chelveston so perhaps the couple lived there for a time, and Joseph, just 1 month old and born back in Raunds. John is a farm labourer and Ada is a shoe closer, probably working at home.

By 1901 they are in Marshalls Road and John, now aged 34 is described as a “General Labourer”.  Ada is no longer shown as having paid work but when we look at the list of children we see that she had her hands full. Besides Alice (11) and Edward – is this the Joseph of 1891? (10), there are Joseph (3) and Charles (1), all except Alice born in Raunds.

John Henry Chambers died in July – Sep 1910 and the 1911 Census finds Ada, a 44-year-old widow with her children Alice (21) a leather worker in the shoe trade; Edward (20) is a shoe hand (finisher) and Joseph Henry (13) is a shoe hand. The younger children, Charles Giles (?) (11), Leslie John (8) and Arthur (6) are all at school. Another young widow with a large family to bring up. She had no paid work so it looks as if it was the wages of the three oldest children that the family had to rely on. They are living in four rooms in Litchfield’s Yard, 11 Marshalls Road in Raunds.

This was not the end of Ada’s worries and sadness because the Great War was just around the corner.  We know that some of her sons went into the army but, because the official records are incomplete (many being burned in an air-raid in WW2), we cannot be sure about those for whom there are no records. I have not yet found records for Edward and Leslie and John were too young to have served but we know that Joseph and Charles both were called up.

 Joseph or Joe’s house is listed at 4 The Square, Raunds. The 1914 Raunds Directory lists his mother as living at 4 Marshalls Road so I suspect that these are the same address and this is the correct man. He joined up, probably on 3rd May 1915. He went into the “A” Squadron of the 3/1 (?) Northants Yeomanry (Regimental No. 1845). He was 5ft. 9½ inches tall with fair hair and blue eyes. He seems to have spent all his time in England and was discharged on 16th June 1916, just serving one year and 45 days. His discharge papers states that he was trustworthy and sober but that he was “no longer fit for War Service”. It may be that he was suffering from some terminal illness for in June 1919 a Joseph H. Chambers died aged 21 in the Northampton Registration District. [This all needs to be checked to see that have correct man. There seems a 2 year discrepancy in ages.]

With Charles Andrews, born in about 1900 we are on surer ground. From his record of service we know that his home residence was 4 Marshalls Road and his mother is Ada Chambers. He was 18 years 1 month when he enlisted on 16th February 1918. He joined one of the Training Regiments, 53rd Queen’s Young Soldiers Battalion, Royal West Surry Regiment (Rgt No. TR/10/158063). He was posted a number of times, finally to the East Kent (The Buffs) Regiment (27986) but, it appears all within England. He was discharged in November 1919 but he later was diagnosed with Muscular Dystrophy and in 1924 he was allocated a 50% army disability pension of 20 shillings a week because his illness had been “aggravated by his war service”, from 26th February 1924 for 58 weeks until 7th April 1925. Charles died December 1928 aged 28 years

Ada died in January – March 1933 aged 65. (Thrapston District probably Raunds)

Leslie John probably married Annie Elizabeth York, the daughter of a blacksmith living at 12 Spencer Street, Raunds between July and September 1930 and he died in 1947.


Annie Jane Andrews (c1870 - ??)


Annie Jane Andrews

1868 – 1937 USA

William Matson

Jul – Sep 1868 – 1946 USA

Ivy Hilda (1890 - ??)

Married Alfred Gilks (USA)

Ida (1893 – 1959)

Married John Toth (USA)


The second girl, Annie Jane was baptised on 2nd March 1870 in Ringstead church and can be seen, aged 12, with her parents, Charles and Elizabeth and living in London End, Ringstead. London End was the triangle of houses where Back Lane met the Denford Road. It was where Lydia Attley had lived and was one of the poorest areas of the village. Shortly before the death of her father, Annie married William Matson in Oct – Dec 1889 (Northampton District). They had two daughters, Ivy Hilda, baptised on 15th June 1890 in Raunds and Ida born in about 1893 in Raunds. The 1891 Census has the family living in Higham End, Raunds, next to the Globe Inn. William, aged 22 is a currier’s labourer (leather tanning) and Annie is a shoe closer. Ivy Hilda is 11 months old.

By 1901 they had moved to Thorpe Street and William is still working at the same trade but Annie is not now in paid work. The children Hilda (as she is usually known) and Ida are 10 and 9 respectively. Annie’s sister, Eunice Andrews, is living with the couple and is a boot and shoe closer working at home.

The local military boot and shoe trade was still struggling at this time before the First World War gave it another last impetus. A few years later the family had emigrated to America. The exact dates are confusing as they seem to differ in various sources. According to the 1910 United States Federal Census William had emigrated in 1906 and Annie and her two daughters had followed a year later. Certainly the New York Passenger Arrival Lists (Ellis Island) show that William Matson arrived in New York on the S.S. Etruria on the 31st March 1906. The following year on 28th July 1907 Annie Jane, aged 38 and born in Raunds, arrived in New York on the S.S. Umbria.  With her were her two daughters, Ivy Hilda (17) and Ida May (15). The Ship’s Manifest records that they were last living in Thorpe Street, Raunds, with her grandmother. It seems that she may have already made one journey in 1907 to New York, perhaps checking on the new world before bringing her daughters over. She stated that her husband was Mr A [?] Matson and is staying with Mrs Burke, 4236 12th Street, New York City [all this address is difficult to decipher].  One can only guess that it was a cheap lodging house.

In the 1910 Federal Census they are both 41 years old and living in Manhattan Ward 18 in New York. William is working as a stableman and the two daughters are milliners in a store. Anna (Annie) has no work shown. Boarding with them is Purvis Davison who is a fireman in a “Gas House”.

We know that Annie returned to England in 1914 to see her family, taking her daughter Ida, now aged 21, with her. She returned to New York on the S.S. Mauretania one of the most famous ships of its time. The Manifest shows that she had been staying with her brother [actually brother-in-law married to her sister Eunice] Mr. J. Ball at 63 Nene Cottages, [Marshalls Road] Raunds.

My father, Aubrey, the oldest son of John and Eunice Ball told me that at one time his Aunt Annie was staying with them and she wanted to take him back to New York with her.  He would have only been about eight in 1914 so whether it was this time or a later visit that he remembered I cannot be sure.

The address in the manifest that Annie and Ida were heading for is very difficult to make out but appears to be 279 Area A New York City. [I suspect this is wrong]

The Great War had begun on 28th July 1914 and the following year the German Government took out advertisements in the American Press warning that passenger on British ships in the waters around Great Britain would be legitimate targets for its submarines. On 7th May 1915 the Mauretania’s sister ship the Lusitania was sunk off the coast of Ireland with the loss of 1195 of its 1959 passengers

The 1920 Federal Census confuses the issue. By this time Hilda had married Alfred Gilks who was an edge turner in a shoe factory and they are living in Kings County in New York State. They have two young sons, Alfred 6 and William 2 and living with them is Hilda’s father William Matson, aged 52 and also Purvis Davidson as a lodger. William is an engineer in a gas house and Purvis is a labourer in, presumably, the same gas house. The column which indicates the married status appears to say for William Matson, “Widowed”. It also shows that he immigrated in 1902.

When we look at the New York Passenger lists there are a number of entries for an Annie Jane Matson. A 57 year old woman of that name born in about 1869 arrived in New York on the Baltic in 1926. Without further research we cannot be sure if this is the correct person.

The 1930 Federal Census shows both Annie and William now staying with their other daughter, Ida and her husband John Toth (transcribed Tots). John Toth (29) and Ida (31) have one daughter, Gloria, aged two years and eleven months. They are living in Oyster Bay, Nassau, New York. It shows Annie’s immigration Year as 1913 and William’s as 1910. It may be, because they had not become naturalised citizens of the United States that each time they arrived in New York from England it counted as a new immigration. (Incidentally the 1940 Federal Census shows, Alfred and Hilda Gilks (nee Matson) also living in Oyster Bay.

Annie Jane died in 1937 and William in 1946 and both are buried together in the Memorial Cemetery of St John’s Church, Laurel Hollow, Nassau County, New York.

I believe that it was Ida who sent parcels to my family (it was before my birth) during the Second World War and my older sister, Christine, remembers the brightly coloured American comics.


George William Andrews (1870 - ??) 


George William Andrews

Oct – Dec 1870 – Jan – Mar 1911

Ruth Line (Lynes)

c1873 - ??


c1892 -


c1894 -


c1897 -


c1898 -


c1900 -


c1902 -


C1907 -






George was the older of two boys in a family of women. He was born in late 1870. He was 5 months old in the 1871 Census, which was taken on 2nd April, when the family were living in Shop [High] Street. In 1881, aged 10 he was living next door to the family with 58 year old Rebecca Manning who was the illegitimate daughter of Rose Manning. Rose was the sister of George’s mother Sarah Andrews (nee Manning). By 1891 he was 20 years old and living with his recently widowed mother and his five siblings in Workhouse Yard in Raunds. Living nearby was Ruth Line whose father, Thomas, an agricultural labourer who had moved from Melchbourn in Bedfordshire, had died in 1884. Her mother Elizabeth was probably an army shoe closer (it is difficult to read) as was her other siblings, except the youngest who was 12 and still at school...

William and Ruth married soon after the Census and by 1901 the couple were living in Raunds High Street, a few doors from the family of George’s younger brother, John Thomas. They already had five children: William (9), Florence (6), Arthur (4), Clara (3) and Frederick (1). Both George and Ruth were working at home, she as a shoe closer (besides looking after the children).  Unfortunately George died in early 1911 but not before there had been further children. The 1911 Census has Ruth living in Chelveston Road, Raunds, (although apparently in the Stanwick Parish), with six of her children: William (19) a “finisher by machinery”, Florrie (17) a machinist, both in a local boot factory: Arthur (14) a farm labourer. The younger children: Clara (13), Fred (11), Dorothy (9), and Ivy (4) are all at school.

Only Ruth is working at home as an army boot closer. We also learn that she had had a total of 10 children of which 3 had died. She has put down inadvertently that she had been married nineteen years which shows that she was pregnant or looking after a baby for almost all of her married life.

Ruth remarried, to Albert Webb, a shoemaker, son of Matthew and Dinah Webb who lived in Newtown Road, Raunds, between October and December 1915 in the Thrapston District (probably Raunds). He was born in about 1883 so was some ten years Ruth’s junior. There were two Albert Webbs in Raunds born some 4 years apart. Both served in the First Wold War and the younger man, son of George and Mary was killed on 3rd August 1917. The Albert Webb who married Ruth Andrews went into the Machine Gun Corps. His brother George, a well known local footballer with the nickname “Pudden” was also transferred to the Corps from the Middlesex Regiment. George’s company was between Vimy and Gavrelle when the Germans started their spring offensive, using the new gas shells. George was badly affected and died of gas poisoning on 24th March 1918 at the hospital at Etaples. He was 32 years old and left a wife and eight children. Albert was also gassed soon after as the Rushden Echo for the 12th April 1918 reported. Fortunately this Albert seems to have survived and lived into old age, probably dying in June 1963.

Few families were untouched by the tragedies that war produces and Ruth’s eldest son, William was killed soon after the gassing of her new husband.  William had been a member of the 6th Battalion of the Northamptonshire Regiment and was killed on the Western Front on 1st July 1918

The website records that:

William Andrews was born in Raunds in 1891, the son of George and Ruth Andrews. He lived with his wife Ellen and their three children, Phyllis, Florence and Ellen Amelia in Chelveston Road. Before the war he was employed by John Horrell and Son as a shoe finisher.

He was awarded the British War and Victory medals and is buried in Bouzincourt Ridge Cemetery, France, grave reference II.J.15. He is also remembered on a family gravestone in Raunds Cemetery as well as being named on the Stanwick War Memorial and Church Roll of Honour.

Ruth had already had other trouble to bear for her second oldest son, Arthur, had also joined up on 22nd April 1915 and was posted to the Royal West Surrey Regiment. After training he was sent to France in October 1915. In a battle at Messines in June 1916 he received a number of gunshot wounds. The medical report stated that:

He has a 7 inch scar across left calf with loss of muscle tissue. All the other scars are superficial.  He has no real shortening of leg but the loss of muscle tissue prevents him from putting his heel to ground and therefore has apparent shortening and has to walk with a stick.

Elsewhere it reports that he had numerous scars (at least 2 dozen) all over back of calf of right leg. He was supplied with a special boot for his left foot which the report states is “comfortable and satisfactory”. He had joined the Labour Corps but on 13th June 1917 he was discharged as being no longer fit for active service. He was issued with a “War Badge” to wear to show that he had good reason not to be in uniform. He presumably went back to work in the boot trade for Tebbutt and Hall in Raunds.

I have found no sign Ruth’s youngest son, Frederick, in the war so let us hope that it ended before his call-up came, not least for the sake of his mother.

The First World War gave some temporary respite to the military boot and shoe makers of Raunds and Ringstead but it also took many of their lives. It also left many injured and perhaps they resented the generation just too young to be sent to war.


John Thomas Andrews (c1871 - 1915) 


John Thomas Andrews

(c1871 – Jan – Mar 1915)

Ruth Mills

(c 1872 - ??)

Edith Ellen Apr–Jun 1893 -

Eunice    c1895 -

Elsie                     Apr-Jun 1896 -

Elizabeth             c1903

George                c1910 -




John Thomas did not become a shoemaker like his brother for the 1891 Census records him, aged 18, as a farm labourer. The Andrews family are living in Workhouse Yard in Raunds and living two doors away are the Mills family. Once again we have a young widow, Sarah Mills from Titchmarsh, aged 47 and her children. Sarah is a laundress which was one of the first occupations that the newly widowed poor would turn to. Her husband, Thomas Pettit Mills had died in 1885. Among the five children, all born in Old Weston in Huntingdonshire, is Ruth, aged 17, who is a shoe closer. In the spring of 1892 Ruth married John Thomas Andrews. (Naomi Lynes [Line] -the sister of Ruth Line - who married George Andrews) - married on the same day.)

Ruth’s mother, Sarah Mills (nee Coleman) died in 1910 and by 1911 John (38) and Ruth (39) are living in 3 rooms in 70 High Street, Raunds with five of their six children: Edith Ellen (18), Eunice (16), Elsie (15), Elizabeth (8) and George (under 1 year).  The couple have had 6 children, one of whom, Richard Charles had died on 27th September 1900, some six months after his birth. John is a bricklayer’s labourer and the three oldest children are hands in a boot factory.

John Thomas died, aged just 42, on 24th February 1915 in the family home in Woodruffe’s Yard, Raunds. Ruth re-married, to widower Thomas Coles (son of William Beeby Coles), at Raunds Parish Church on 15th October 1917 and died in 1958 aged 84.

(Note: Edith Ellen Andrews, the oldest child, married Fred Burton at Raunds in December 1916. Fred was in the Northamptonshire Regiment in the First World War and won the Military Medal, only being discharged in 1920. (Information and photographs from Agnes Burton). Eunice married Hugh Morris Jan – Mar 1920 Thrapston District.

Eunice Andrews


Eunice Andrews

1876 – 21 /08/1956 (aged 78)

John Ball

Jan – Mar 1882 – 8/02/ 1953

Aubrey Andrew Phillip

(30 /05/1906 – 28/12/1990 )


Oct – Dec 1910 – Sept  1957


24/10/1910 – 12/1983

Dennis Verdun

11/12/1916 – 24/04/2004



As we have seen, Eunice was born in October – December 1876, the daughter of Charles Andrews and Elizabeth Warren. Her life would have been one of extreme poverty, with her father not supporting his family and, certainly on one occasion,   deserting them so they had to “go on the Parish”. She was one of ten children, eight girls and two boys although not all survived: Ada b. April – June 1867; Annie Jane b. 1869; George b. 1870; Thomas b. 1873; Eunice b.  1877; Elizabeth b. 1879; Mary Lizzie b. 1879; Lily Ethel b 1881 and Eliza Ellen b 1885.

By 1901 Eunice is staying with her sister Annie, who had married William Matson, and their two children in Thorpe Street, Raunds. Eunice was working at home as a shoe closer. Eunice married John Ball on 23rd December 1905 when she was already some four months pregnant with their first son, Aubrey.

By May 30th 1906, when their first child, Aubrey, was born, Eunice and John Ball were living in Highfield Cottages, Marshalls Road, Raunds.  I believe this was the row of terraced houses next to Coggins Shoe Factory and opposite the Nene Cottages where Eunice and John finally settled. Thomas, his brother had married earlier, in 1902 to Charlotte Cade and the two couples moved to Wollaston where they shared one of the terraced houses called York Cottages which had six rooms, excluding the scullery and any outbuildings. Thomas Ball was a “Bottom Stuff Riveter” and John a clicker. Both men worked in a factory or workshop but the two wives were “Hand Boot Closers” at home.

By 1911 Eunice had three children, the older two, Aubrey (4) and Sydney (3), born in Raunds and Ronald (5 months) born in Wollaston. It seems that they did not move from Raunds until after 1908. At some point soon after the Census the family moved back to Raunds. My father said that at first they lived in Thorpe Street:

The first house that I remember we lived in was in Thorpe Street.  When you get half way up there was a turn which we called Primrose Hill.  We lived in a house just before that turn.  The people who lived next door were a Mr and Mrs Black and they used to have me in for tea every Sunday.

Now it may be that this was before they moved to Wollaston and my father’s memories are of when he was very small and they moved straight back into the Nene Cottages

John Ball died on 8th February 1953 and Eunice on 21st August 1956


Mary Elizabeth Andrews (c1879 - ??)


Alexander Brown Allen (1)

Abt1879 – Jan –Mar 1901

Mary Elizabeth Andrews

3/12/1878 – March 1974 (?)

William Dicks (2)

Abt1876 -

Edith Annie Allen         Abt1898 - ??

Gladys Allen                      Abt1902 - ??           Father Fred Richards

Mabel Allen                          24/04/1905 -??             Father ??

Elise  Dicks                         Abt1909 - ??



Mary Elizabeth (sometimes just Elizabeth, or Mary Lizzie, or just Lizzie) was with the Andrews family in the 1891 Census in Workhouse Yard in Raunds and, aged 12, she is a shoe closer.  In April –June 1897 she married Alexander Brown (or Brawn?) Allen but four years later, in early 1901, he died and she is in the 1901 Census, aged just 22 years, with her daughter Edith Annie Allen living with her widowed mother, Elizabeth at 11 London End in Ringstead. Next door, at number 10, is her grandmother Elizabeth Warren another widow aged 85. The husband of Elizabeth Warren (née Hilson), Richard, had died on 13th January 1900. Mary Elizabeth’s 16 year old sister, Eliza Ellen, was staying with her, perhaps to help look after her, because Elizabeth Warren died in Thrapston Workhouse on 20th November 1902.

The Northampton Mercury for 18th July 1902 reports:

Lizzie Allen widow of Ringstead, v. Frederick Richards, shoe hand of Ringstead. - This was a child maintenance case. Order for 3s. per week and £1 costs.

In Jan – Mar 1908 Mary Lizzie married William Dicks. William was the son of Hodd or Odd Dicks - and the grandson of Korah Dicks who was a rogue described in the Ringstead People book – so it was not a great pedigree. The 1911 Census records that William (34) is working in an Army Boot factory and Mary Lizzie (31) is an unemployed army boot closer. They have been married for three years and have had one child Elise Dicks who is two years old and born in Raunds. Edith Allen, the eldest child is 12 but Gladys Allen and Mabel Allen are 8 and 5 years old respectively. It would seem that Gladys was the subject of the maintenance case. Another child, Mabel, was also illegitimate, born in Thrapston Union Workhouse on 24th April 1905. No father is given in the Workhouse Birth Register. William and Mary and the family are all living at 18 Iron (?) House, Thorpe Street, Raunds


Lily Ethel Andrews (1881 - )


Lily Ethel Andrews

1881 - ??

Frederick Wilfred Smith

c1877 - ??

Frederick Alfred            Jan–Mar 1897 -

Norah Constance           Jul-Sep 1900 -

Dennis               Jul-Sep 1902 -

William               c1906 -

Cyril                   Apr-Jun 1910 -




Lily Ethel Andrews was born in Jul – Sep 1881 and in the 1891 Census is 9 years old and living with her widowed mother and her siblings in Workhouse Yard, Raunds.  She is wrongly named as “Louise”.

She had a child, Frederick Alfred S (Smith?) Andrews, born Jan – Mar 1897. A little over a year later, 11th April 1898, she married local shoemaker Frederick Wilfred Smith in Ringstead Parish Church. By 1901 she was living with her husband and two children in High Street, Ringstead.  They are Frederick (4) and Norah Constance (8 months). Lily is shown as 19 years old so she must have been about 15 years old when Fred was conceived. The entry in the Marriage Register shows that she was only seventeen old when she married.

By 1911 there are five children living with them in Raunds: Fred (14), Norah Constance (10), Dennis (8), William (5) and Cyril (1). One child has died. All have been born in Ringstead except the last two children who were born in Raunds. Frederick, the father, is shown as a welt sewer working in Coggins’s factory. Also living with them as a “border” [sic]) is Lily’s mother Elizabeth Andrews who is 67 years old and receiving outdoor relief.


Eliza Ellen Andrews (1885 - 1964)


Eliza Ellen Andrews

1885 - 1964

Cyril Charles Mayes

1884 – Jan–Mar 1942

Cyril                                     Abt1904 -

Leslie                                  Abt1906 -

Reginald                            Abt1909 -

Hilda                                     Abt1910 -



Eliza Ellen Andrews was born in Jan – March 1885 and, aged 6 is with her recently widowed mother and her older siblings in Workhouse Yard. Raunds. In 1901, aged 16, she is living with her grandmother, 85 year-old widow, Elizabeth Warren at 10 London End, Ringstead. Next door at 11 London End is her widowed mother Elizabeth with Eliza’s recently widowed sister, Mary Elizabeth Allen.

 On 30th May 1903 she married Cyril Charles Mayes in Ringstead Church.  Cyril was the son of Fairey and Mary Mayes, and was born in Ringstead in 1884. The 1911 Census shows Cyril and Eliza at 23 Vine Street, Scarborough in Yorkshire with their 4 children: Cyril (7), born in Ringstead, and Leslie (5) and Reginald (2), born in Raunds. The youngest child, Hilda is 7 months old and born in Scarborough. It seems that the couple moved north in about 1910 probably because of the depression in the military shoe trade. Cyril is still a bootmaker.

The following piece was recently taken from the Evening Telegraph of the 21st December 1914 by the Raunds War Memorial Group. It tells of the German First High Seas Fleet’s bombardment of Scarborough, Hartlepool and Whitby on 16th December 1914. Could it have been Eliza writing to her brother John Thomas Andrews? The 1911 Census shows only one other Raunds born family.* Of course there may be other families from Raunds who were not born there or who went to Scarborough in the 1911 – 1914 period. The concern is that there is nothing about the four young children that Cyril and Eliza had at this time and which she surely would have mentioned. Nevertheless it does show the damage and fear caused by this early naval raid in the First World War which was reviled (hypocritically the Germans said) as an attack on women and children.  It would have been a frightening time for the Mayes family


A Raunds gentleman has received the following interesting letter from his sister, now a resident of Scarborough, on the bombardment of that town by the Germans:

“Soon after eight o’clock this morning a German boat began to shell the town from the North Bay and we seemed to be in the thick of it as I think they were aiming for the wireless station at Falsgrave. Fragments of shell came both into our yard and our neighbours’ although I am glad to say that both houses have escaped better than almost any others in the neighbourhood, just a few panes of glass being broken in each.

All down Victoria Road is a mass of broken glass and bricks. A shell went right through the Co-operative Stores opposite and set fire to a house bear by. In Norwood Street almost opposite, there was great havoc, the roofs being taken off several houses. But in Commercial Street, a little further in Falsgrave, is the worst damage, the houses being almost demolished, eight people killed and heaps wounded. The Prince of Wales Hotel, on the South Cliff, is all shattered, and o0ne corner of the Grand Hotel is unsafe.

I was just going to have my breakfast, my husband not being up, I thought nothing but that the house would all come down. I rushed upstairs to him and we got our hats and coats as quickly as we could so as to be ready for anything, and just scrambled two or three things into a handbag. I thought that if we could get into the open away from the town it would be safer, but getting there was the thing. It was more dangerous outside than in so we just waited a few minutes with our hearts in our mouths, and then news cam that they had gone. It had only lasted twenty minutes, but they had done plenty of damage. It’s marvellous that we should have escaped, and we feel very thankful I can assure you. But the awful feeling while it lasted! I haven’t pulled myself together yet.

You should have seen the people clearing out of the town during the morning; the cabs were busy and the station packed. We have got a trophy – a piece of shell which went clean through the middle of our washhouse door; and the house two doors from us had the chimneys and the roof all down so we almost feel as if our escape was miraculous. However, I hope the worst is over, and that we have no more of it. I never thought they could have got so near, but expected that they did so in the fog.”

*(Ernest Charles Horrell and family: born Raunds 1870, son of a Wesleyan minister but married to a woman from Chelmsford and he seems to have few connections to Raunds. He went to Yorkshire College and was imprisoned for a month for stealing books from the College and the Free Library: became a schoolmaster in Doncaster, a Lecturer in Botany but in 1914 is a “Clothier and Outfitter (Dealer)” living at 4 St Thomas Street, Scarborough. He is remembered today for his interest in mosses and was for a short time a leading member of the Moss Exchange Club, His herbarium is at Leeds Museum and he has plants in Natural History Museum and elsewhere. He died in 1944 in Nottingham).

Vivienne Marshall has told me that her mother (granddaughter of Harry, Cyril Mayes’s brother) remembered that Cyril suffered a bad head wound in the First World War. Cyril joined the Reserve Battalion of the Yorkshire Regiment (Reg. No. 240815) and transferred later to the Royal Defence Corps (Reg. No. 86640) possibly, after he had been wounded, in January 1918.

His service record seems lost but we know that he became part of the 4th Battalion of the Yorkshire Regiment and fought in the terrible mud around Ypres where little was gained by either side and many were killed in the process. His pension record shows that he was wounded over the temporal region of the head by a shell (shrapnel?) on October 29th 1917. He had a small depressed fracture and the depressed bone was removed and the wound sutured at a field hospital in France. He was treated in the 1st Southern Central Hospital in Small Heath, Birmingham from the 10th November to the 18th December (38 days) and was then discharged on a 10 day furlough before returning to duty. One hopes that he returned home to his family for Christmas. There is some doubt for from 23rd March 1918 he was treated for 64 days for Syphilis at the Central Hospital, Lichfield. We must beware about jumping to conclusions as to its source. Despite very graphic warning material given to soldiers nearly half a million British soldiers were admitted to hospitals suffering with VD during the Great War and every day thousands of men were unavailable for active service. [].

Cyril experienced problems sleeping after the war (he stated at his medical it was only 2 hours a night and that he was “worried by trifles”). At this examination, in November 1920, he was judged to have a 20% disability which was reduced in November 1921 to a 6% to 14% disability

When Vivienne’s mother visited the family, Cyril was still a cobbler and she remembered that sometimes his customers paid in kind so Eliza was often boiling lobsters.  This seems to indicate that he was his own master whereas in 1911 he is working for somebody else. She also remembers that there was a steep path up to their house.

Brian Ball, son of Sidney, speaking in July 2014, remembers visiting his Aunt Liza when she lived in Long West Gate in Scarborough and said that she was always a welcome visitor because she was full of life and fun

It seems likely that Cyril Mayes died in Scarborough in March 1944 and Eliza Ellen died there too in 1964, aged 78.

[Note: I found by chance the following piece from Murders Stories UK from the True Crime Library

. Mary Comins – Scarborough

“Mum,” announced 10-year-old Tommy Johnson. “We’ve been playing down at the old disused bus garage. We saw a lady lying in the inspection pit.”
Not surprisingly, perhaps, Mrs. Johnson laughed away that story and told Tommy to get on with his tea. But the image of the “lady” was having a profound effect on the boy. After tea he fetched his next-door neighbour, 12-year-old Irene Mayes, from Vine Street, Scarborough, and took her to have a look at the inspection pit. The lady was still there.
“That’s a dead body,” Irene whispered, awe-struck. She was right. After a friend had fetched the police they identified attractive Mrs. Mary Comins, 33, lying face downwards in three inches of oil and water. She had been manually strangled and marks showed that she was dragged feet first to the pit.
Mary, whose husband was serving in the Eighth Army in North Africa, had spent the evening of her death, Sunday, March 21st, 1943, in a pub with a girl friend named Edna Tyson and two soldiers. They separated at about 10 p.m., but an hour later Edna saw Mary talking to a man in Dean Road.
Local residents claimed they heard screams in Vine Street at about midnight, and others said they knew who the killer was. Police were certain he must have been a soldier, because the garage premises was only vacated by the military on the day before the body was found. One theory was that the soldier-murderer was posted overseas and was killed in action, taking his gruesome secret to his death.

Irene was the granddaughter of Cyril and Eliza, the daughter of Cyril, their son. ]




Reader Comments

There are no comments for this journal entry. To create a new comment, use the form below.

PostPost a New Comment

Enter your information below to add a new comment.

My response is on my own website »
Author Email (optional):
Author URL (optional):
Some HTML allowed: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <code> <em> <i> <strike> <strong>